Before starting actual steps, we would like to understand few basic concepts. So What is farm? Farm is group of Co-related, interdependent still isolated Applications.
Farm can be deployed as
- Multi-Server Farm: in which different servers have different roles, like someone has web Server Role, Application Server Role and Database server Role.
- Single server farm: In this all above Roles are assigned to Single Server. All of Above roles Played by Single Server. In single server farm we can add more servers later.
- Stand-Alone farm cannot add another Server in future.
Today we will see how to setup single server farm.
Minimum Hardware Requirements For Single server farm:-
- 64 bit processor.
- 8 GB for production use in a single server or multiple server farm .For test Installation we can use 4 GB RAM.
Software Requirements For Single server farm:-
- Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 (64 bit).
- The 64-bit edition of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2.We can also use SQL Server 2008.
- Service packs 2 update. Now we can use Service pack 1 for SQL Server 2008.
- Or Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise 2005 64 bit with latest service pack and cumulative updates.
- Cumulative update package 2 for SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1.
- Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise Installer.
For more details on pre-requisites and proper planning refer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485.aspx
Security Requirements For Single server farm:-
- Active directory domain controller (AD/DC) must install on server to create and Assign roles to user.
- Create A three Account in Active Directory users and Computers as given below:-
1. Installation User:- srv-sp-setup
2. SQL User :- srv-sp-sql
3. Farm Admin :- srv-sp-farm
- Give the Domain Admins and Local Administrator rights to these three accounts.
- To install SQL server 2008, login with srv-sp-sql Account.
- Assign the “Dbcreator”, public and “Securityadmin” roles to “srv-sp-setup” and “srv-sp -sql “in Sql server.
- To install Microsoft SharePoint 2010, Login with Srv-sp-setup Account.
- SharePoint 2010 server Configuration wizard should run with srv-sp-farm account.
There are Few Simple Steps Afterword we are able to install single server farm easily. Follow the following steps:–
- Double click on SharepointServer.exe .it extract all files
- Firstly install all the prerequisites as shown below, for that you require Internet Connection on your server. If you don’t have internet connection on same server .then Download SharePoint 2010 Prerequisites to other machine where Internet connection is available and put that prerequisite on shared location and Access it. Following are prerequisites which should be downloaded offline if direct internet connection is not available.
- 1. Application server role. Web server (IIS) Role.
2. Microsoft SQL server 2008 Native Client.
3. Hotfix for Microsoft Windows(KB976462)
4. Windows identity foundation(KB974405)
5. Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0(x64)
6. Microsoft chart control for Microsoft .Net framework 3.5
7. Microsoft filter pack 2.0
8. Microsoft SQL server 2008 Analysis services ADOMD.NET
9. Microsoft server speech platform runtime (x64).
10.Microsoft server speech recognition language- TELE(en-US)
11. SQL 2008 R2 Reporting Services SharePoint 2010 Add- ins.
- Now here we have Internet Connection, Click on prerequisites.
- After clicking on Prerequisite Welcome screen comes and in below there is a box in which you can see list of prerequisites.
- Click Next. License Agreement Screen Appears .click on the check box and accept the terms and condition. Then click next.
- After clicking next prerequisite installation begins. It will take few minutes
- After Few minutes installation is complete click on finish button.
- Now we are going to SharePoint Single server installation. Click on Install SharePoint Server.
- After clicking on Install SharePoint Server Product key window appear, insert your product key. Then continue.
- Read the Microsoft Software license term, then click continues.
- After click on continue button next screen comes here you can select Standalone or Server Farm. Now we are looking for Single server farm Installation .So we are Clicking on Server farm Option.
- After clicking on server farm. Next screen provide option to choose server type, complete or Stand-alone .Now we are clicking on complete and then click on Install Now.
- Now your Installation is start.
- Now click on the close button, but before ensure the check button is check .so the configuration wizard runs automatically.
- After click on the close button SharePoint Configuration Wizard runs automatically .Click on next Button.
- After clicking on next button one pop Window comes click on yes.
- After Clicking on yes, Next screen provides the option to choose an existing server farm or create a new server farm. Because we are installing single server farm so there is no existing farm. Let’s choose create a new server farm and click next.
- Then in the next screen we can set our database with SharePoint 2010 server, here we can give the Database name and domain user name and password. You can change your database name to more secure your database because it is default database name any one can access your database .Now we can go for default database name because it is our demo configuration. Username is our domain Administrator it does not require any specific permission. Through this account we can manage the central Administrator of SharePoint farm. Take a screenshot of this screen for future use. After putting all information click next.
- After clicking next. Next screen for security setting, here we give passphrase, it used when we add another server in the farm. It must be strong means combination of alphabet, numbers and special character and minimum 8 characters required. Then click next.
- After clicking next .another screen appears here we can set the port number for SharePoint Central Administration or we can choose default port number. It looks like a http://databaseserver name: port number/ .Once you choose the port number we cannot further change it. Here we can go for default port number .and we can also set the Authentication provider NTLM or kerberos .generally we are choosing NTLM. Then click on next.
- Next screen shows the summary what we have taken. Take the screenshot of this screen for further use .this us best practices. Click next.
- After clicking next our configuration is start.
- Click on finish to close configuration wizard.
- After closing SharePoint configuration wizard new window is pop for configuring SharePoint farm, click on start the Wizard.
- In the next screen you can choose an account from which you manage all the services. By default there are 14 services available .you can un-check the services which you don’t run from this account. Then click next. Generally Managed Metadata Service, Search service application, User profile service applications are minimum recommended which should be selected.
- In the next screen we can choose any template to create a top level site .now we can choose team site for it. Then click ok.
- Next screen shows completion of farm configuration wizard. Click on finish. Now your central Administration is appear .
- To see our site we are going to Application management—>manage web Application
- Copy The URL And open in to new Tab.
- Now Our SharePoint Site Is Up and Running.
Done …. 🙂 🙂 🙂 Enjoy ….:)